Please click a section below to expand
The purpose of governance is to provide confident and strong strategic leadership which leads to robust accountability, oversight and assurance for educational and financial performance. In schools, this is the governing body, who are responsible for scrutiny of decisions made in school and for driving improvement, and the processes and policies which allows the school to work effectively and appropriately.
As a school within a multi-academy trust, responsibility for the governance of William Brookes School ultimately is with the Board of Trustees of The 3-18 Education Trust. In common with all the Trust schools, William Brookes School has a Local Governing Body (LGB), which is technically defined as a committee of the Trust Board.
The powers defining the legal relationship between William Brookes School and The 3-18 Education Trust, together with the delegation of general powers within the Trust, are set out in a document called the Scheme of Delegation.
In summary, the role of the LGB is to:
- provide advice to the Trustees on the functioning of the school;
- act as a key link between the Trust, parents and the school community;
- act as a sounding board for the Headteacher and offer challenging but positive support to the Headteacher;
- continually review the overall impact of the Academy; and
- assist with and review the implementation of certain school policies, such as student admissions and behaviour.
The LGB has the following core responsibilities:
- ensure clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- hold executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- oversee the financial performance of the organisation and make sure its money is well spent.
All Local Governors agree to a Code of Conduct which sets out the expectations of and commitment required.
There is a Role Description for Local Governors
The Chair of the LGB can be contacted through the School or the Clerk to the Governors
The Clerk to the LGB is: Ms Carole Warner and can be contacted by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
or by post: William Brookes School, Farley Road, Much Wenlock TF13 6NB
|Local Governors Meeting Attendance
|Local Governors Register of Interests
|Local Governors Register of Gifts and Hospitality
The minutes of LGB Meetings are available from the school on request, where data protection is not compromised.
Every Governor will be part of a team responsible for one of the 3 areas known as Link Areas:
- Leadership and Management, to include Finance, Equality, Health & Safety and Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural
- Quality of Education, to include Curriculum, Pupil Performance Data, and Sixth Form
- Pupil Related Matters including Behaviour, Safeguarding and Prevent, Special Educational Needs and Disability, Looked after Children and Careers
Link Governors understand, oversee, monitor and report on specific aspects of Link Areas. They meet with the SLT and visit the school at least once a term and report back to the LGB.
View more information on The 3-18 Education Trust website